Magnesium Can Change Your Life
"Magnesium is the original chill pill" - Dr. Emily Deans (psychiatrist)
"The possibility that magnesium deficiency is the cause of most major depression... is enormously important to public health and is recommended for immediate further study." – Dr Eby
"...we could cut our rate of heart disease by one-half if we took more magnesium." - Dr. Carolyn Dean
– The single most important nutrient for treating high blood pressure and preventing heart attack.
– Anti-ageing because it protects the "telomeres" of our DNA.
– A natural treatment for diabetes because it improves insulin sensitivity.
– Essential for the production of thyroid hormone, progesterone, testosterone, and neurotransmitters such as serotonin.
– The best way to balance the adrenal glands and prevent excess cortisol.
– Critical for healthy sleep, energy and mood.
– Necessary to activate vitamin D and to absorb calcium into the bones.
– The mineral that prevents calcium from being deposited into joints, arteries or kidney stones.
Magnesium is a relaxing, soothing, vitality nutrient. It is the primary electrolyte inside each and every cell. It is a critical cofactor in hundreds of enzymatic reactions in the body. That is why it feels so good to supplement magnesium.
Are you deficient? In a word, yes.
There is no accurate blood test for magnesium because most of it is located inside bones and inside cells. If you live in a modern world, you know that you need to supplement magnesium. Magnesium is depleted by caffeine, alcohol, and stress. It is depleted by calcium and vitamin D supplements, and by medications such as stomach acid medication, birth control pills, and blood pressure tablets. No surprise that magnesium has been shown to be clinically deficient in at least 57% of the population.
Food sources of magnesium include leafy greens, nuts, seeds, and whole grains. Magnesium leaves the body so quickly with stress that most people require a supplement. Magnesium is safe to be taken by almost everyone. (Those with kidney disease need to be careful. Also, magnesium should be taken well away from thyroid medication.)
Can't get your vitamin D up? It could be because you are deficient in magnesium
According to Dr. Carolyn Dean, magnesium is the missing piece of the vitamin D puzzle. Many people find that they cannot get their vitamin D up until they add a magnesium supplement. This makes sense because magnesium is necessary for the activation of vitamin D.
Author: Lara Briden BSc, ND. Sensible-Alternative Naturopathic Clinic.
Appointments at Sensible-Alternative
For professional advice regarding magnesium and women's health, please make an appointment with one of our naturopaths.
Sydney CBD • North Sydney
To book, please contact our receptionist Lisa on our Sydney phone number: 02 8011 1994 or email click here. reception <at> sensible-alternative.com.au
Eby GA et al. Rapid recovery from major depression using magnesium treatment. Med Hypotheses. 2006;67(2):362-70. PMID: 16542786
Carolyn Dean. Magnesium Is Crucial for Bones. Huffington Post. June 15. 2012.